Customization. This is something Spotify is very good at. After still (almost) 12 months of uncertainty, one thing’s for sure: we’ve listened to a lot of music and podcasts throughout the year and there’s a good chance a lot of it happened on Spotify, the streaming service that changed the way music is listened to or made. And as always, it’s time for the Spotify Wrapped experience, which reviews the most streamed artists and albums for (most) 2021.
This year, the Stockholm HQ-ed company added more social media features so that you can share your favorite music with a personalized movie, aura or playing cards, ensuring that chats between friends and members of the community start. family. This is the kind of personalization that Apple Music needs to consider.
To see “Your 2021 packed”, simply go to the app on your mobile phone and press “play”. Looking back, I listened to more music than I should have (instead of working). Maybe you too have done the same.
The few features that make Spotify Wrapped personal are 2021: movie (combines your best songs with classic scenes from a movie about you), your audio aura (Spotify worked with an aura expert to visualize your audio aura depending on your top two music moods), Playing Cards (an interactive data-driven game that you play and then share with your friends) and 2021 Wrapped Blend (fans can see how their 2021 music tastes match up with their friends) . Of course, you can share your Wrapped experience on social channels like Snapchat, Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.
Now on to the music that made waves throughout the year and the podcasts that we loved.
• Arijit Singh remains the most popular artist and joins him with Pritam, AR Rahman, BTS, Tanishk Bagchi, Shreya Ghoshal, Jubin Nautiyal, Neha Kakkar, Anirudh Ravichander and Vishal-Shekhar.
• The most listened to song in 2021: Raataan lambiyan from Asees Kaur, Jubin Nautiyal and Tanishk Bagchi. Other key songs: Ranjha by Jasleen Royal, B Praak and Anvita Dutt; Brown mude by AP Dhillon, Gminxr, Gurinder Gill and Shinda Kahlon; STAY (with Justin Bieber) of The Kid LAROI and Justin Bieber; Lut gaye by Jubin Nautiyal, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and Manoj Muntashir, Butter by BTS; Agar tum saath ho by Alka Yagnik, Arijit Singh, AR Rahman and Irshad Kamil; Tu aake dekhle from King and Arpan Kumar, Shayad from Pritam and Irshad Kamil; and Montero (Call me by your name) from Lil Nas X.
• The 10 most released albums in India in 2021 are: Shershaah, Kabir Singh, Moosetape, Love Yourself ‘Answer’, Love Aaj Kal, Justice, BE, Map of the Soul: 7, Master and Future Nostalgia.
• The three most popular female artists are Shreya Ghoshal, Neha Kakkar and Ases Kaur.
• The most popular podcasts on Spotify in India this year are: The Mythpat Podcast, The Ranveer Show, The Stories of Mahabharata, Naallanaa Murukku – The RJ Balaji Podcast, Srimad Bhagavad-Gita Adhyaya 1, The Joe Rogan Experience, Speak Better English with Harry, On Purpose with Jay Shetty, Bhaskar Bose (Hindi Thriller Podcast) and Unconventional Ghalib.
• While The Ranveer Show is the most popular podcast in cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore and Pune, local content stands out in Hyderabad, Chennai and Calcutta where Purijagannadh (Telugu), Naallanaa Murukku – The RJ Balaji Podcast (Tamil ) and Sunday Suspense (Bengali) in the lead, respectively
• Four of the top 10 aired episodes are from The Mythpat Podcast.
• Seven of the top 10 most viewed episodes are from Spotify Originals.
• Ahmedabad, Lucknow and Jaipur are among the top 10 cities that broadcast podcasts.