Your Google Home or Google Nest device can be pretty cool to use, and it’s especially nice that you can set your favorite music service as the default so you can always listen to your favorites. The whole process is quite simple, so let’s see what needs to be done.
What music streaming services are supported by Google Home speakers?
One thing you should know is that the list of services that work with your Google device varies depending on the country you are in. You can actually check all music partners on the Google Assistant page.
However, we know that Google Home and Nest work with most of your favorite platforms like YouTube Music, Spotify, Pandora, Deezer, and Apple Music. Unfortunately, Amazon Music is not supported, but you can still listen to music from this app using the Google device as a Bluetooth speaker.
How to Set Default Music Streaming Service on Google Home
Listening to your favorite music on your favorite streaming service is pretty easy to do with Google Home devices. Since all devices are controlled through the same Google Home app for iOS or Android, that’s what you’ll need to get started.
Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Launch the Google Home app and make sure you’re signed in.
- On the main page, go to Settings.
- Once the page loads, navigate to Services > Music.
- Depending on the apps you have installed on your device, you will notice them in the list. Choose the one you want and you’re done.
Limitations on Google Home and Nest devices
We should note that the functionality of Google Home and Nest devices is limited to the type of subscriptions you have.
For example, if you have a free YouTube Music, Spotify or Pandora account, you will only get a station of songs inspired by the song, album or artist you requested.
However, if you have a subscription to YouTube Premium, YouTube Music Premium, Spotify Premium, Apple Music, Pandora Premium or Deezer Premium, you will be able to listen to specific songs, albums or artists that you have requested. You can also listen to music based on genre, mood or activity. You can even request your personal playlists. For this to work, you need to link your account.
How to link your subscription service to Google Home
Linking your subscription services to your Google Home app will give you full access to everything it has to offer and all the content you’re used to enjoying. The whole process is quite simple to follow.
- Launch Google Home on your phone.
- Go to Settings then follow to The music.
- Any music app that hasn’t been linked will appear under the More music services region. Tap the link button right next to the service name.
- Go through the disclaimers and agree to share data between your music app subscription and Google Home, also allowing Google Home to act on your behalf. This is necessary so that Google can translate your voice request into an action on the service.
- With just a few clicks, your accounts will be linked and you can select the app as the default music service on Google Home.
The next time you ask Google Home or Nest to play a song for you, it will use the service you selected. If you want to use a different service, you must make the command specific.
For example, if your default service is Spotify, but you want to listen to a song on YouTube Music, you’ll need to say “Hey Google, play Old Town Road on YouTube Music”.
You should know that you cannot unlink the default music streaming service. If you want to do this for some reason, you will need to choose a different default service before touching Ungroup.
Listen to music on Google Home or Nest
Keeping up with your favorite playlists on Spotify, YouTube Music, or whatever other platform you currently use is super easy to do with Google Home.
Any song you want is just a voice command.
How to use your Google Home as a speakerphone
About the Author